Saturday, January 17, 2009

Gang Starr to Guster

Gang Starr

Garbage

Garth Brooks: I bought his double live cd solely because I was interested in diversifying my collection. At that time, I decided that any self-respecting music fan should at least have one album from each major genre. I did not like country at the time, did not think I would like the album, and currently do not like "modern" country. I will admit, however, that I do enjoy some of his work. That said, what was up with the Chris Gaines thing or whatever fake name he used?

Gavin DeGraw: Back when I was booking bands, I booked him. He is a supremely nice dude.

Genius / GZA: Wu-Tang has always been one of my favorites. At one time, I hoped to possess all solo projects from the 9 members, but I am way behind in that quest.

George Clinton: He plays in Detroit a lot and it's a shame I haven't seen him yet.

George Michael: The details fortunately escape me, but this cat generally prompts thoughts of nasty, inappropriate sexual activity in stanked-out public restrooms. Even so, "faith" is a great song.

Ghetto Boyz: Until a few years ago, hearing these dudes would just trigger their video for "My Mind's Playing Tricks On Me" but now I think of Office Space and fax-machine demolition.

Ghostface Killah: Another Wu-Tang solo artist and one of my favorites.

Ghostland Observatory: I bought some of their stuff without having heard a single track because I read an interview in which they were asked about what it's like to be either loved or hated with no in between. They responded that they preferred emotional responses to their work because they'd rather be either loved or hated than just tolerated. That seemed reasonable to me, so I bought some of their stuff.

Glen Phillips

Gnarls Barkley: Again, I really like Danger Mouse and I love his work on these albums.

Godsmack: The dude's a warlock.

Golden Birds: I love this band. There probably has never been another band that has enjoyed a period with airplay as heavy as these guys... in my world, that is.

Gomez: While in Austin, I scooped up some Gomez because I had read something akin to critical acclaim for them. That critic and I probably won't be making mix tapes for each other anytime soon. I mean, it's ok and some songs are catchy, it's just not something that blows my mind.

Goodie Mob: What is the best chorus ever written? It's this: "who's that peekin' in my window? POOWW... nobody now."

Gorillaz: Decidedly the best music for taking down your Christmas tree. Jim and Sarah were staying with us for the weekend so they got a nice dose while talking about mint plants and eating schwarma.

Grand Funk Railroad

Grandaddy: Visions of robots working with lights on... anyone else?

Grateful Dead: You'd think that everyone would have some amazing memory tied to this band, but I don't. No acid flashbacks, no magic burritos, nothing. I guess I'm boring.

Green Day

Grizzly Bear

The Gufs: "Smile" is to be kept, the rest to be deleted.

Guns 'N Roses: Best commute to work ever. I remember dancing with Kerry in like 7th grade to November Rain. First of all, that's an eternity of a song at that age. Second, it gets really hard to slow dance to near the end.

Guru: I love his voice and his experimentation with jazz, hip-hop fusions.

Guster

No comments: