Tuesday, January 13, 2009

D12 to the Dynamites

D12: Detroit love.

Daft Punk: Thursday nights at Heartland. $1 cover, $1 drinks. And always Daft Punk.

Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley: I like the guy alright but two albums in a row was a little much.

Damien Rice: A really cool live performer and a current favorite of mine.

The Dandy Warhols: I like this band and their attempts to fuse quasi-metaphysics into rock music.

Danger Doom: When you listen to this, you have to think of Aqua Teen Hunger Force... primarily because every song is pretty much based on that. I heart Danger Mouse in a fairly serious way, so it isn't all that surprising that I dig this stuff.

Danielle Rose: Danielle was one of my classmates at Notre Dame and a truly special woman. Her music is inspired by her Catholic faith and deep in all senses of the word. It was particularly cool to hear her songs focused on the Joyful Mysteries as my wife and I prepare for parenthood. It was thought provoking and touching stuff. I was at work at the time.

Darude: see Daft Punk.

Das EFX: Totally bizarre hip hop. I still dig it, but prefer it in doses, particularly because I have the album that everyone who likes them has, "Dead Serious," plus the lesser known and not as creative "Straight Up Sewaside." The latter album refers to the sewer not the taking of one's own life in case you are interested.

Dashboard Confessional: I like the dude, but this always reverts me to some sort of high school mentality. It might have something to do with lines about "making out" but I'm not sure.

Dave Brubeck

Dave Matthews Band: There is a distinct picture in my head when I hear this band, and the vision is this. I am walking down the hallway of my dorm and I hear Dave Matthews blasting from one of my neighbors' rooms. This was a regular occurrence. This time, however, as I passed by his door and peered in, I saw him sitting at his desk and heard him say, "Gosh Dave, you are awesome." He was talking to the song. I threw up a little bit in my mouth and stopped listening to the band. I shouldn't have called that a vision-- it was reality.

David Allen Coe: Tales of the 'Backer have already been told; this is another staple.

David Bowie: I love him but he always conjures memories of hanging out with the guys at the Logan Center in South Bend. The Center is home to a group of fantastic mentally disabled young men. A group of us were having a pizza party with them when one of the residents looked at my friend and said, "you look just like David Bowie." It was even more hilarious than it sounds.

Dax Riggs

De La Soul: classic stuff.

Dead or Alive

The Dears: pretty average.

Death Cab for Cutie: I got into them after the release of "Plans" and ended up studying law to the album quite a bit. Now I have a Pavlovic dog response to it. I don't actually mind the association considering much of my legal "studying" amounted to listening to music, hanging with friends, and drinking beers. So what if there's a tort or two in there.

The Decemberists: I love this band and that love grew exponentially after seeing them live. Their songs are so vivid and reflective of times none of us have experienced that each listening experience catalyzes the imagination. They also employ one of the stronger vocabularies of any music group out there.

Def Leppard: I have a friend, Sarah, who does a particularly dynamic dance to their most favorite track.

Default: DELETE.

Depeche Mode: Growing up, my oldest sister loved these guys and pretty much wore out the "Violator" cassette. I think a lot of the house I live in until I was 8-years old.

The Detroit Cobras: I bought this in Austin at Waterloo Records, which is one of my favorite places on this earth. They give you a nice '50s feel.

Detroit Red Wings: Yes, I have the song, "Hey, Hey, Hockeytown." We are so dominant and so good that we have a right to have a cheesy song or two.

Digable Planets: What a strange group of rappers, but I like them quite a bit. They came on during my drive to work, and it was a great start to the day.

Digital Underground: No specific memory except for parties, randomly.

Dilated Peoples

Dire Straits

Dixie Chicks: Only two songs here, so don't get excited. Plus, one of the two was put on a mix for me by my wife, and I love it.

DJ Assault: A lot of high-school memories in this cat's catalog.

DMX: Jimmy always barks like him, so there's that.

Domestic Problems

Donavon Frankenreiter: New Years' Eve.

Don Mclean: My parents listen to him a lot.

The Doors: Adele and I were driving to Nappanee to pick up our custom-made rocking chair. I expect that I'll think about that going forward.

Douzi

Dr. Dre

Dublin City Ramblers

Duke Ellington

Dynamite Hack

The Dynamites

No comments: