Monday, January 12, 2009

Coldplay to Cypress Hill

Today I hit 3000 songs so obviously, I'm behind on the posting front. I'll catch up by the end of the week, tackling at least a letter each entry. Tonight, I'll polish off the letter C.

Coldplay: I have no problem admitting that I like this band. I've even seen them live. None of that, however, changes the fact that "apple" is a dumb name for a child. Somebody had to say it.

Colin Hay: He's great. "I Just Don't Think I'll Ever Get Over You" is a staple on my sad song playlists, and I love sad songs despite being a generally happy person. I think that's how I maintain a generally positive disposition... by listening to quite a bit of depressing music. It's sort of a balance. And yet another lesson is learned: I tend to listen to music reflective of the mood that I'm not in. This has not always been true. I certainly didn't listen to ABBA when facing break ups in the past but barring those dramatic scenarios, it tends to happen more often than not.

Collective Soul: This reminds me of the 90s.

Common: One of my favorite hip-hop artists.

Coolio: I was surprised to find his entire album on my ipod. I was more surprised to find that "Gangsta's Paradise" isn't on there, considering I made a cassette of that song over and over [60 minutes] so I wouldn't have to rewind it constantly. I also did this taping via my discman [pour one out for that bygone] through the stereo. I maxed out the bass settings on both the discman and stereo with fantastic booming results. I digress. This album is crap with about 3 very modest exceptions.

Cornershop: What the heck is a brimful of asha and why do I have the extended version of it?

Counting Crows: See my earlier comments regarding sad songs. "Raining in Baltimore," in particular, is fantastic.

The Cranberries: Despite conjuring that terrible movie in which it was featured, "Dreams" remains one of my guilty pleasures... also despite the cat murder that occurs at the end of the track.

Credence Clearwater Revival: 1) The Big Lebowski and 2) My honeymoon where the Costa Rican chef who spoke no English jammed out to these guys daily. He showed me the album with great delight after he heard my wife and I singing along.

The Cribs

Culture Club: Back in the day, I knew a lady who closely resembled Boy George. She also happened to be obsessed with him and dressed up as him for Halloween. Sort that out.

The Cure: My earliest memory of this band was my cool older cousin visiting from Texas. She was a fan of them back then... and also Volvos. I still like them-- the Cure more so than Volvos.

Cutting Crew

Cyndi Lauper: I was busted for the first legitimate time here as my homeslice Karl and I were set to battle in our Tecmo Super Bowl League and I threw my ipod on only to hear her. No one seemed to mind.

Cypress Hill: Reefers and insanity... what else do people think of when they listen to these cats?

No comments: