Thursday, January 15, 2009

Eazy E to Evanescense

Eazy E: Has there ever been a more successful rapper with a stranger voice?

Eddie Money: Fond memories of free concerts at Pine Knob. He used to open their season pretty much every year and a bunch of us would go pretty much solely for the encore [2 tickets to paradise and take me home tonight].

Elana James: Great music but occasionally painful lyrics. I have to return the cd to my friend Jeff.

Elbow: I had just scooped their album shortly before this initiative so I hadn't really had much of a chance to listen to it. I dug it as I listened while organizing our storage room.

Eli Young Band

Elliott Smith: Finally, I caught a really bad match. I went running and he was on the ipod. From a pace perspective, it was obviously undesirable. But I spent most of the run crying and rending my garments so I was sufficiently distracted and before I knew it, the run was over. I've always loved the dichotomy between his truly beautiful voice and the painful lyrics. His death was a great loss.

EMF: My sister had this cassette and I remember reading the liner notes to get all the words down for "unbelievable." I still can't believe that they masked the f bomb in that track. Seriously, check out the lyrics... very surprising.

Eminem: I far prefer his early stuff when he was an offensive goofball. Now he's angry and less clever.

Enya: "Book of Days," that's all. It pretty much raises the spirit.

EPMD: This will never get old.

Erasure: I recall rigging up my sister's 1980s boombox, which looked like something out of a Run DMC video, to an extension cord and wiring it all around the outside of our house. We listened to these cats while performing standard chores such as weeding and trimming bushes.

Erykah Badu

Etta James: who here, by a show of hands, doesn't think of weddings and more specifically, first dances?

Europe: As soon as the synthesizer makes the speakers dance, I think of the Bad Boys era for the Detroit Pistons. They still play the "Final Countdown," but I will always associate it with the 1989-1990 team. It has become so ingrained in me, that it actually creates a massive adrenaline rush. I used this to my advantage and listened to it before every law-school final.

Evanescence: Just that one song. Very guilty pleasure.

1 comment:

Katie Anne said...

I liked your Eddie Money comments, HOWEVER, I have another great memory... perhaps at least one of us in the group having to listen from the parking lot to take care of a "drunk" Jon Vandenbosshe....