Monday, November 24, 2008

amelie to audioslave

This proved to be a solid stretch of tunes. Amos Lee came up next, and it brought back visions of seeing them live for the first time when they opened for Dylan in Detroit a couple years back.

Andrea Bocelli chimed in with a random interlude... but provided another positive recall since I danced with my mom to a Bocelli track at my wedding.

Then, Andrew Bird who I had somehow forgotten about.

Aqualung came next and whenever I hear that word, I think about the part of Anchorman when Ron Burgandy plays the jazz flute and then growls, "AAAAQQQUUUAALUNG." I recall buying this album without hearing a track off of it. It was one of those impulse purchases driven by "I heard this was good." Oftentimes, I cannot remember who told me that or where I read it, which results in a risky play. When in doubt, however, you can generally confirm good reviews by the album cover. This album cover was ok, so it passed the test. Very mellow, but very enjoyable.

Arcade Fire chimed in next, and I absolutely love them. It was perfect for a Friday afternoon at work. Seeing them live is a must.

Our friends, Andy and Jess, came over Friday night and although I was hesitant to subject them to my whims, they heard about my plan and immediately wanted in on the action. It's often difficult to predict which artist will come next so I was a bit worried that some terrible guilty pleasure would emerge, but the ipod treated me [and our guests] pretty well. Arcade Fire finished, then the Archies rocked out some "sugar, sugar" followed by Architecture in Helsinki and the Arctic Monkeys.

I met Ari Hest once... solid guy. Arrested Development reminded me of grade school then there was some Art Brut and the Ataris.

I raked leaves to Audioslave on Sunday. That all aligned perfectly. I was actually punishing each leaf individually.

All in all, this was the best stretch so far.

No comments: